Initially established as a supporting body for the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in 1987, the Philippine Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) became a line bureau with its own offices and independent enforcement authority in 2002. It is the national authority responsible for pollution prevention and control, and environmental impact assessment.
EMB is guided by the vision of a nation empowered to protect its finite natural resources in pursuit of sustainable development, to ensure a healthy environment that enhances the Filipino quality of life for present and future generations. Its mission is to restore, protect, and enhance environmental quality toward good public health, environmental integrity, and economic viability.
EMB is the national authority in the Philippines that sets air and water quality standards and monitors ambient and point source pollutants. It manages hazardous and toxic wastes under the Toxic Substances, Hazardous and Nuclear Waste Control Act and implements the Philippine Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) system.
To promote compliance with environmental standards, EMB has innovated an approach to engage industry and environmental agencies in voluntary self-regulation. Under the Philippine Environmental Partnership Program, the EMB provides a suite of technical and regulatory assistance as an incentive for industry to explore and implement cost-effective and sustainable pollution management strategies.
EMB has also made public participation and transparency key elements of its EIA system, involving affected communities and stakeholders at various stages of project developments to ensure safe, smart, and sustainable development.
EMB operates offices at the central, regional, provincial and community levels throughout the Philippines.
The Emb Is A Line Bureau By Virtue Of Section 34 Of The Philippine Clean Air Act Of 1999 (Ra 8749). The Bureau Is Mandated To Implement On A Nationwide Scale The Six (6) Important Environmental Laws To Wit:
-Environmental Impact Assessment Law (Pd 1586)
-Toxic Substances And Hazardous Waste Management Act (Ra 6969)
-Clean Air Act Of 1999 (Ra 8749)
-Ecological Solid Waste Management Act (Ra 9003)
-Clean Water Act (Ra 9275)
-Environmental Awareness And Education Act Of 2009 (Ra 9512)
- Advise The Secretary On Matters Relating To Environmental Management
- Formulate Plans And Policies And Set Appropriate Environmental Quality Standards (Water, Air And Noise) For The Prevention, Control Of Pollution And Protection Of The Environment
- Exercises Direct Supervision Over Its Regional Offices In The Implementation Of Plans And Programs. The Central And Regional Offices Of The Bureau Discharge Both Staff And Regulatory Functions
- Issue Permits, Clearances Under Ra 8749, Ra 9003, Ra 9275, Ra 6969 And Pd 1586 And Monitor Compliance To Said Laws
- Provides Secretariat Support To The Pollution Adjudication Board Per Eo 192
- Provides Secretariat Support To The National Solid Waste Management Commission As Provided For In Section 4 Of Ra 9003
- Develop And Implement A Research And Development Program In Support Of The Following:
- Environmental And Compliance Monitoring; And
- Study Of Existing And Potential Environmental Problems And Issues
- Implement A System For The Recognition Of Environmental Laboratories
- Promote Public Information And Education To Encourage Participation Of An Informed Citizenry In Environmental Quality Planning And Monitoring.
- Serve As Focal Point Agency For International Agreements/Commitments
To restore, protect and enhance environmental quality towards good public health, environmental integrity and economic viability.
In the pursuit of the foregoing, the fast, efficient and satisfactory performance of the following frontline services of EMB may be demanded by the client.
A nation empowered to protect our finite natural resources, attuned to the pursuit of sustainable development, for a clean and healthy environment that enhances the Filipino quality of life for present and future generations.
To properly manage and protect the environment in order to attain sustainable development while recognizing the primary responsibility of local government units, non-government agencies, private and business organizations in dealing with environmental problems.
To formulate, review and update environmental policies, programs and projects on environmental management and pollution control.
To establish and enforce environmental quality standards such as the quality standards for water, air, land and noise for the protection and sustainable use of natural resources consistent with the national environmental goals and enforcement at the local government units.
To strengthen enforcement capability ti handle violation of the laws, rules, regulations and policies for the protection of the environment and promote the sustainable use of environmental resources.
To promote public information ad education to encourage participation of an informed citizenry in environmental compliance monitoring and study of existing/potential environmental problems and issues.
To strengthen the enforcement and implementation of major Environmental Laws.